ESTIMATOR / PROJECT MANAGER
LOCATION: Saskatoon, SK & Edmonton, AB
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Prepare estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work.
- Prepare full cost estimates on conceptual, design-build, or general tender work.
- Prepare materials, labour, and equipment cost estimations necessary to successfully carry out a construction project according to proposals, plans, estimates, and specifications.
- Study and analyze proposals received from subcontractors, fabricators, etc.
- Assist in establishing unit costs, labour rates, productivity factors, and location impacts.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
- Negotiate contracts, change orders, etc. as required.
- Assist in the preparation of studies, materials and methods, recommendations, and cost estimates as required.
Cost Control & Contract Management
- Kick-Off Meeting: Present project requirements to all department heads and outline requirements.
- Request and approve all purchase orders.
- Manage the contract including contract changes and dispute resolution.
- Develop cost and schedule estimates for contract changes.
- Monitor all costs in steel and develop Project Controls Report for management.
- Track actuals vs. budgets for all cost codes.
- Identify any issues or concerns and work with relevant departments to correct issues.
- Assist with generating invoices for client billing.
- Develop Microsoft Projects schedules.
- Plan CT&V and subcontractor work.
- Perform progress tracking as well as forecasting.
- Identify and resolve schedule issues or concerns.
- Develop and award subcontracts.
- Manage subcontractors and approve timesheets and invoices.
- Work with safety department and ensure all safety documentation in place prior to project start.
- Monitor lagging and leading indicators and identify issues or concerns.
- Coordinate with safety and construction departments and mitigate any concerns.
- Work with quality department to develop Quality Plans and ITP’s for shop and field scope.
- Ensure Quality Plan’s and ITP’s are followed.
- Identify issues or concerns and work with the quality and construction departments to mitigate.
Technical Field Support
- Manage incoming and outgoing requests for information.
- Coordinate with relevant departments as needed to close RFI’s.
- Assess commercial or schedule impact if applicable.
- Develop project controls report for client and present on re-occurring basis (Safety, Quality, Schedule, and Cost).
- Perform regular site visits to assess project status and identify any issues or concerns associated with Safety, Quality, Schedule, and Cost.
- Manage client to contractor interface.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in construction and / or engineering or an appropriate field.
- New graduates, EIT, and engineering technologist applicants will be considered.
- 1 to 2 years of experience in engineering or construction industry an asset, preferably in steel plate-work or steel structure related fields.
- Ability to read and interpret technical specifications and drawings.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material and labour estimates.
- Commercial knowledge to calculate cash flows.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc.).
- Effective verbal, listening, and written communication skills.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a minimum of supervision.
- Collaborative approach in dealing with customers and fellow employees.
- Customer focused – able to respond promptly to customer needs and to work with all levels of customers.
BENEFITS OF WORKING ON CT&V’S TEAM
- Competitive wages
- Health and benefits plan
- Fast-paced & flexible working environment
- Free parking
- Casual dress code
- Ongoing career oriented training & education opportunities